Remember me?
*This may be a little long but we’ve got a lot of catching up to do. I promise it’s worth it, and hopefully it’ll make you laugh.*
So, I’ve been away from the blogging world for awhile!!!! Once upon a time, I only had a part-time job at CVC in the Biology department as a lab instructor. I had free time to blog, sulk and worry about the unknown future, and cook purple chicken. Worry, leisure, and playtime was the month of May. Then June came along…Whoa.
I don’t know if I mentioned in past posts that I had been accepted to Texas Teaching Fellows (which I will refer to as TTF for now on), an alternative certification program to become a teacher. I’m going to be honest here and say that teaching was never my first choice for a career. I always pictured myself as some employee (preferably, the boss) of a company/organization (preferably my own or government-run) that travelled to different countries on business trips to work abroad for months at a time, doing good deeds and spreading good cheer. I basically wanted the job of a well-paid international social worker/team-leader. You could say that I want to be a rich, year-round Santa Claus. As life would have it, I’m convinced that such a position doesn’t exist for me… yet. Then, after years of jet-setting, making a name for myself, acquiring lots of international friends and properties, and changing the world for the better, I would settle down and become a teacher. Tell my students about travelling and the world and people and living…
Before my six weeks of summer institute, literary the Saturday before my first Monday, I met a boy. After about the third date, I quickly decided that I really liked him. So, during the six weeks of institute, I not only working my butt off student-teaching and submitting work products for TTF, but I kept my job with CVC on the side and spent time with a boy on the weekends. I didn’t sleep much. But it was good. Life was busy but good.
I also forgot to mention that in June, the very first day of TTF institute, I got a text from my mom to call the principal of Kaufman Jr. High. I called, was offered a teaching position (7th grade Math), and accepted the offer. So, I quickly became an employee of the very Jr. High that I attended. My current principal was once my 3rd grade teacher when I first moved Texas. The Math Department Chair - she taught me Algebra in 8th grade, was best friends with my mom, and took me to six flags every year until I was about 16. About 6 of former teachers have become my colleagues. Some of the younger (excuse me, newer) staff members graduated with me or not too much before me. The new tennis coach - we graduated from Kaufman together; in fact, we were friends. She was Kaufman’s 2005 Homecoming Queen… I was Valedictorian. Was it weird at first? YES.
Post-institute/Pre-first-day-of-school was all catch-up on sleep, enjoy that last bit of vacation time, spend time friends, and enjoy time with (can you believe this…) my FIRST-ever boyfriend (turns out, he liked me backJ.) It was a good 3 weeks.
Then school started. If anyone tries to peddle some story about teachers and how lazy they are, please slap them across the face… as hard as possible. Jesus would agree that it would be well-deserved. There is nothing like waking up super early in the morning; standing in front of a classroom full of awkward, smelly, low-retention, hormone-enraged, inattentive pre-teens trying to teach them math; creating engaging math lessons for a generation of calculator-dependent, academically-apathetic, and lazy children; grading failing assignments and not trying to feel like a failure yourself; and sleeping 4.5 hours at night only to wake up and do it all over again.
I’m still debating whether or not I’m completely cut out to be a teacher. I do enjoy it. I love the kids; they are ridiculous (I’ll go into details in a bit). And I’m desperately trying to get them to be better people. This stage of life is hard for them, I know, and Kaufman, as a small rural town, can only provide so much for them. It’s stressful. I refuse to be a bad teacher, so I work myself until I pass out. I like working, but the more I teach, the more I keep thinking of my former goals of jet-setting and travelling. I want to leave. I want to stay. I want to be a student again. I would want to teach again. So I’m trying to decide on going to grad school. Oh, life.
Here are some snipits from my classroom:
First week of school- Got a note from a student that said, “You’re cute.” Next day, the same student gave me another note that said, “You’re very cute. PS. I’m good at rubbing sore feet <3.” …That note went to the principal’s office.
Second week of school- Found a note in the hallway from one jr. high girl to another. Girl 1 was telling Girl 2 about losing one’s virginity, betrayal, sex with someone’s brother… they’re 11,12, and 13 years old!! I cried in the teacher’s lounge bathroom. But just one tear. I was so disgusted!
Third week of school- I’m convinced some of my students have etch-a-sketches for brains. I spend 53 minutes a day trying to artfully craft a math masterpiece into their brains. Then the bell rings, they shake their heads, and it’s lost forever. Everyday's a new day. Is it possible for tweens to have Alzheimer’s?? but really…
Fourth week of school- My students' initial fear of me began to wear off and they've now started to like me. Crap. Every class gets the “I’m NOT your friend; I’m your teacher” talk. Some still aren’t convinced.
Fifth week- called some parents about teasing. Called some parents about inappropriate farting in my classroom. Called some parents about excessive talking. Had a seating arrangement change and a "come-to-Jesus moment" with my 5th period class. (Update: they’re doing better behavior-wise although they may need another moment later.)
Sixth week- Freaked out when I had to write my first two office referrals. Had a student tell another one, “Ain’t no muthaf**ker gonna tell me to shut up.” Uh, really?!?!
It’s a new six weeks. Only 5 more six weeks left. There is never a dull moment in teaching. Never.
With three teachers living in my TX home, I can promise you it gets better with time. You're great, and you'll be a great teacher! (obviously, I mean greatER!)
ReplyDelete