Thursday, January 28, 2010

Dog! Job! Car?!

 So I challenged the new year, 2010, to "bring it"!... well, it brought it! Praise da Lord!

Many things have happened since the start of the year both sad and happy. I would like to start off by mentioning my beautiful and beloved grandmother, Betty Jean Lattier. She is a fallen hero of mine. She passed away a few weeks ago. She had been sick for years and was constantly undergoing all sorts of treatments since I was a little kid. My mother believes that she let herself get ill when 'Bubba' Lattier, her husband/my grandfather whom I never met, passed. Although she was sick, I could always remember how funny and kind she was. Apparently I get my wit and humor from her. She was sharp and brilliant, loved puzzles, a school teacher, and a strong mother of 8 kids…. DANG! So, the beginning of the new year was spent in Louisiana with family. Her funeral was great. Of course I cried buckets, but the service was beautiful. I'm not used the charismatic services, but it was fitting and truly a celebration of a joyous life. And I had forgotten how powerful and moving black gospel choirs can be… oh, how I'd missed it and didn't even know. Grandmother Betty Jean will forever be with me. She was a true gem.

After regrouping and returning back to Texas, life of course has to continue. A new season for job hunting…
ugh. I had registered to take the Texas Teacher Certification exam, so I figured I'd divide my time between

cover letter writing and studying. Great… two things I'd rather not do but must. But before Christmas my mother had adopted at dog that had been living on the street and hit by a car. He's a German Shepherd/ Lab mix. Well, finally a couple of weeks ago, he was healed, healthy, and ready to come home with us. The day we went get him and bring him home, a lady that my mom works with at the Vet Tech office told me about her friend in the Biology department that would be in need of an assistant. She gave me the number and I called. In a matter of minutes I found myself in his office discussing the position in dirty jeans and a hoodie. He asked me to send him my resume and come back the next week to discuss paperwork. Could it be? I was getting a beautiful dog and a job all on the same day?!?!

We brought, Beta, our new large puppy home. It's been almost three weeks and I'm pretty much in love with this dog. He's so cute and sweet. He doesn't bark much, plays and naps, and adores a good neck rub. He also likes it when I give him hugs which is great because I love hugging this dog. He's wonderful!

I went back the next week about the job, and thank you God, I got it. I started working last Monday. My official title is Instructional Support Associate… it means I'm basically a glorified T.A. It has to be a part-time position because of budget cuts and school funding, but no matter. A job is a job, and so far I really like it.

So I'm employed! Hurray! How am I getting to work, you might wonder? I'm still borrowing my mom's car. But this system can't last forever. That's right, folks. Mama's getting her own set of wheels real soon!! We looked at cars two days ago. I'm so excited. I'll be sure to post more about the coming changes. All these wonderful things are happening at once. It's quite overwhelming, undoubtedly in a good way. I've prayed for so long. I didn't exactly wait patiently, but I did do a lot of waiting. God knows I'm still impatient and undeserving, and just as He gives, He also takes away. So I think during all of this I can say that I've learned to appreciate the little things I'm blessed with more and more. And I understand what it means to fully enjoy the company of others, to be and to have real friends.

Boy oh boy, life sure is swell.

No comments:

Post a Comment