I’d like to start by requesting that we all pray. Pockets of turmoil and strife are occurring worldwide. So, specifically pray from Japan, Libya, and the Texas education system.
Here’s hoping that next year I’ll still have my job. I rather not say much more about it because it makes me a bit angry. Get it together, Texas legislature.
Luckily, it’s spring break. It seems to come just in the nick of time. And Luckily again, my sister was able to help me get a ticket to the Florida Keys with her this week. Big score.
The week before break was… painful. And not just for me but also for the kids, too. I had a surprise observation (because I had completely forgotten the date) on Monday. That went… OK. Let’s just say that I didn’t have a super stellar lesson plan prepared for Monday. Tuesday-Friday the kiddos were going to be benchmark TAKS testing. It would have been pointless to start a new lesson and expect them to retain it in those 4 days plus over break. We went over some past tests, made corrections, and did some coloring with “Word Walls.” My observer watched me go over test problems and instruct my 13 year olds on coloring. It’s wasn’t bad… just wasn’t great either.
Tuesday was the first day of benchmarking and the kick-off test was the Math test. They improved, but apparently not enough because all us math teachers were called to an afterschool meeting to discuss the scores and a potential game-plan. Ugh. Why can’t they get it?!?! We practice and practice and practice...
Wednesday (Ash Wednesday) was a great day. Our church had a great service.
By Thursday, the kiddos are getting tired. Students don’t realize how much we teachers actually sympathize with them. We remember what it was like to be in school. We remember getting bored on test days. Wanting to be out for break. We still feel the same way. I took my afternoon classes outside that day. Those kiddos, despite their laziness, really have been working hard. I haven’t really let up on them, and I can’t. They’ve just got to work hard to pass, but I hope I don’t stress them out too much. By Thursday, even my good classes are cracking. They’re tired. We’re tired. And then I get a call to the principal’s office…
She discussed with me a meeting that I would be attending the next day. It was about the budget cuts and rumors of teacher cuts. All I thought of was doom, but my principal was very reassuring.
Friday was messy. I was half-tempted to start calling parents myself to tell them to sign their kids out of school. They zoomed through the last test, Social Studies; I had the first student done in 13 minutes and my slowpoke done in 45. I should mention that the test was 50 questions. I’m a fast reader and there is no way that I would be able to read and answer 50 questions in 13 minutes. Whatever. At least they didn’t do that on the math test. The last half of the day was taken up with cheerleader tryouts for which the school suspended the bell and the announcements. That’s right. We changed classes via hollering down the hallway. Thankfully, my students were fully engaged in The Princess in the Frog all afternoon. Their school dance was also that night, the kick-off to their spring break. They were so excited! They begged me to come, but… no! Ha-ha. I had a few students jokingly ask me to the dance, and one said he’d just come back and ask once he’d turn 18. A little creepy. I’d rather not witness all their dance-floor shenanigans, and I had already made plans to meet up with Claire and John.
So, while my students started their break with dancing, mine began with dinner and conversation… well, after the hour-long meeting with the superintendent about the budget and our job security. Again, like Bob Marley sung, “Every little t’ing gonna be alright.” Dinner was mellow and wonderful and with best friends. Loved it.
Saturday: I did absolutely nothing. But really,…NOTHING. Nothing compares to the gloriousness of nothing once you’ve been going non-stop on multiple somethings.
Sunday: Spent with Richard and Jason and a little bit of Christopher.
Monday! Florida time. I left that afternoon. Arrived at DFW airport at 12:15 PM. Departed on the first plane at about 1 PM. Arrived at Atlanta airport by 4 PM. Departed on the second plane at 4:40 PM. Arrived at Miami airport at 6:30 PM. There I waited. I bid my time by exploring the airport. It felt like being inside of a giant fishbowl… and no one was American. It’s a nautical themed airport with gold sea creatures on the tile floor and wavy glass windows, some tinted sea blues. I had some egg rolls and a couple of mojitos. Departed on the third and final plane at 8:45 PM. Finally, landed in Key West at 9:25 PM. Jumped in car to drive to Big Pine Key. Arrived at beach house at 10:10 PM.
Arrived at bliss at 10:11 PM.
No comments:
Post a Comment