In the spirit of the new year, the traditional resolution list is necessary. I may have thought of new year resolutions as something silly or stupid before college, but I have since changed my mind. It's not about making a list that I'll never revisit again, or jotting down some goals that will easily be forgotten. In fact, whatever one's resolutions list consists of makes no difference at all. I always put down goals with the best intentions in mind and some I'll do and some I won't. I doubt I'll think back to my list of resolutions in the middle of July. Chances are, I probably won't think of my list past February. The list has a secondary importance. The reason why making the resolution list has become meaningful to me is this: reflection (such a Baylor word).
Thinking about goals for the upcoming year forces me to deeply reflect on the past. It gives me the chance to look back on the choices and mistakes I have made. I feel inspired to grow and change for the better. I realize my darkness and weaknesses but also my strengths, talents, and light. Making new year's resolutions also gives me closure. I can reflect on the past but not dwell on it by learning from it instead. If I can make a list, rather I revisit it months later or not, I still go through a reflection process that leaves a lasting impression.
Decidedly, I need more courage in my life. I need to face the world boldly and fearlessly because God is on my side. I need more courage to love others (especially when I don't want to), more courage to help others (especially when I wickedly decide they don't deserve it), more courage to rely on faith (especially when I don't let God take care of situations even after I realize my britches aren't big enough or when I foolishly think they are big enough), more courage to be a better teacher, friend, sister, and daughter (especially when I become impatient), and more courage to be wise (especially when I misguidedly think I know more than I actually do).
So the list - 13 resolutions for 2013:
1. To be more Courageous in all facets of life
2. To jog/run a 30 minute 5k
3. Follow a solid investment plan
4. Make more phone calls/send more text messages to dear friends to catch up
5. Send more mail
6. Make more time for crafts
7. Continue to try new recipes
8. Pray so much more
9. Believe in the things I pray about
10. Listen to God more... and just become a better listener in general
11. Ride a horse again this year
12. Let go of past mistakes (even if that involves people but still forgive and forget)
13. Get overseas
Again, this list has been made with the best intentions. I may look at it again later or I may not. I may do all thirteen or just a couple (I'd hate to think none at all), but this list is a product of sincere reflection and self-assessment that gives me a new perspective for the coming year.
Cheers! *raises glass * To 2013!
Thinking about goals for the upcoming year forces me to deeply reflect on the past. It gives me the chance to look back on the choices and mistakes I have made. I feel inspired to grow and change for the better. I realize my darkness and weaknesses but also my strengths, talents, and light. Making new year's resolutions also gives me closure. I can reflect on the past but not dwell on it by learning from it instead. If I can make a list, rather I revisit it months later or not, I still go through a reflection process that leaves a lasting impression.
Decidedly, I need more courage in my life. I need to face the world boldly and fearlessly because God is on my side. I need more courage to love others (especially when I don't want to), more courage to help others (especially when I wickedly decide they don't deserve it), more courage to rely on faith (especially when I don't let God take care of situations even after I realize my britches aren't big enough or when I foolishly think they are big enough), more courage to be a better teacher, friend, sister, and daughter (especially when I become impatient), and more courage to be wise (especially when I misguidedly think I know more than I actually do).
So the list - 13 resolutions for 2013:
1. To be more Courageous in all facets of life
2. To jog/run a 30 minute 5k
3. Follow a solid investment plan
4. Make more phone calls/send more text messages to dear friends to catch up
5. Send more mail
6. Make more time for crafts
7. Continue to try new recipes
8. Pray so much more
9. Believe in the things I pray about
10. Listen to God more... and just become a better listener in general
11. Ride a horse again this year
12. Let go of past mistakes (even if that involves people but still forgive and forget)
13. Get overseas
Again, this list has been made with the best intentions. I may look at it again later or I may not. I may do all thirteen or just a couple (I'd hate to think none at all), but this list is a product of sincere reflection and self-assessment that gives me a new perspective for the coming year.
Cheers! *raises glass * To 2013!
No comments:
Post a Comment