The red background with the pink equal sign went up as my
Facebook profile picture. I guess you could say it is one of my very few and limited political statements on
Facebook. In fact, I hardly do anything on
Facebook besides “like” amusing things and add pictures. Last I checked, that was pretty much the
point… and not to start intense discussions.
However, I do like having the equal sign displayed dispite any controversy. The issue of gay marriage pulls at my heart
in a way that most other politics do not.
It affects me as an American, as a friend, and as a Christian.
First, I love that it’s an equal sign. Perhaps being black and a woman drives me to
fight for equality because history reminds me that my life could be very
different from what is today had a few white men not have had a change of heart and mind. During the time of slavery, blacks were not permitted to get
married. They had to have secret
ceremonies and “jump the broom” for their marriage (side note: I am not jumping any damn
broom in the future. “I’m free!” You hear that future husband?). Then once America got over that hump, it struggled
with interracial marriage. I understand
that marriage is sacred. It is
beautiful! But because you have dark
skin, you can’t get married? Because you and the one you love do not match on
the outside, your union is disgraceful?
We have evolved from that (well, not everyone but generally speaking) to
realize that color does not matter. It
took many speeches and marches and protests and deaths to prove it. I feel that I have the right to be married
and luckily, it came to be. So, how can
I stand and believe that I deserve more rights than someone else? What makes me better than my dear friends
such that I should be given more privileges than they? Last I checked I was just a Christian, black
woman that knew that she was no better but also no less than the next
person. Marriage equality signifies
progress and love and acceptance.
Different is not bad. But bullying is
bad. And terrorizing others is bad.
And arrogance is worse. And Indifference is the worst. Tolerance without acceptance is
stagnant. So, only love can advance us (I may have just sounded like a hippie but deep down you know it’s the mushy truth).
As an opposing response to the red equal sign, I have seen
others post the red equal sign with the slash through it. I’m very familiar with this sign, as I teach
math; I get the point. But that didn’t bother me too much. I know that not everyone agrees with me on
the issue or has to. I did, however, see
a different response that made me somewhat irritated. It was a red background with a pink
cross (dragging religion into politics...as usual:-/). The intentions of the cross may
vary but I feel that it carries a heavy and sorrowing implication: that
Christians are not or should not be on the side of the red equal sign. I feel that a lot of the dissent about gay
marriage is not because of state’s rights (which I think has more ramifications
politically than anything because the state, not the federal government, has
been in charge of recognizing marriages), but because it is against what the
Bible says. This disturbed me because 1)
it seems that believing in equal marriage rights and being a follower of Christ
are mutually exclusive 2) by supporting gay marriage, I’m not as Christian or
as good of a Christian as someone opposed to it and 3) that all Christians hate
gays.
I read the same Holy Bible as these other Christians
do. In fact, the bible beside my bed is the
one given to me at infancy with my full name engraved in gold script. King James Version. Red Letter.
I’m not going to pretend to be a biblical scholar, but I have studied my
bible, too. I have read it entirely, but
certainly not continuously or without skimming certain passages (like Genesis 5 is
literally all about Adam’s family tree and how everyone lived one hundred plus
years, like Methuselah and all those other bros).
So, I may not be one of those folks than can just bust out with several
memorized passages of scripture, but I am a reader. And I have read. Homosexual acts are deemed sinful… and along
with a variety of things. Sex IS marriage;therefore, fornication is definitely a no-no. If
a woman was made a widow and her late husband had an unmarried brother, she is
to marry him. Men and women are supposed
to stay virgins until marriage or else suffer a deathly stoning. You are not supposed to plow your fields with
both an ox and an ass. You cannot eat unclean
foods, so no bacon… ever. I’m pretty
sure there was even a section that said that women were not supposed to braid
their hair… oops. I bring these up to
make this point: we are all sinners and we sin all the time. My sins do not separate me from the sins of thieves
or murders or adulterers and the reason is this: because Jesus took them
away. God’s love is not exclusive but is
for all. The outcasts of city found
comfort in Jesus. We keep treating gay
people as outcasts, but following Christ would implore us to pull them in
closer, love them, and treat them as equals.
Not treat them as equals because it makes you feel good inside, but
because they are your equals. My sins
are no better. I’m not closer to God
because I’m heterosexual. That’s bologna. The red letter text in my bible tells me that
Jesus said to love God, love yourself, and love others as you love
yourself. When he refers to laws, he
directs us good Christians to the 10 commandments (and thankfully not all the
other long lists also in Deuteronomy).
Then, Paul says one of my favorite things in Galatians 2:20-21, “I am
crucified with Christ; nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me:
and the life which I now live in the flesh by the faith of the Son of God who
loved me, and gave himself for me. I do
not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then
Christ is dead in vain.” And that small
verse speaks volumes to my heart about wrestling with sins and grace. I hold on to the truth that God just loves
because He is love. That is an unshakable
truth. My grace and righteousness isn’t
because I’m heterosexual, middle-class, law-abiding citizen. His love is not poured out for those that only
follow the law. If righteousness could be attained by following the law, Jesus would be have been for naught. And let's be real, none of us would
ever know grace because of our sinful nature. The love that I
want to have projected unto others is one that is unbiased, unprejudiced, and
relentless, just as Christ had. I do not
think that other Christians that feel as I do are twisting/transforming the
bible to accommodate for a progressive society.
I’m taking the bible seriously and all that it has in it.
Also, I shouldn't feel this need to defend my faith while I'm making a political statement, but as a someone that is more politically liberal, my religious views come off as some "nuanced Christianity." I feel like I have to proclaim my faith because it's not consistent with other louder and more conservative Christians that use their faith in politics. So, lately, I believe the reason I'm so annoyed overall is that too many marriage equality debates are ignoring separation of church and state more and more. I don't like throwing my politics in with religion because my religion is not for everyone; it's the government that's to be for everyone. While marriage is truly religious, the act recognized by the state is not. The state in which you live could care less
about the church it happened in, the color scheme you had, the songs you danced
to, or the love that was felt passing through every person present. They care about a legal document, signed and
filed, for tax purposes. The state is
involved because money passes through their hands. The state doesn’t
do ceremonies and weddings but it will do paperwork, and that's actually how I like it. The political issue is that the federal government
would define what constitutes marriage which would trump the state’s right to
call it. I think this point should be
the topic for debate, and for awhile it was... then we were reminded that God hates fags. Instead it seems
like a feud of holier-than-thou bible verses and prejudice.
The bottom line is that I could never look at some of my best friends in the face and tell them that they don't deserve the same marriage rights that I have. That is not what I know friendship to be. Friends are equals. They cannot change their sexual orientation any more than I can change the color of my skin. And let's not forget...that whole "separate but equal" thing really didn't pan out.... 50 years from now, when all of this is recorded in history textbooks, I want to look back and remember what side of the debate I was on... and smile.
The bottom line is that I could never look at some of my best friends in the face and tell them that they don't deserve the same marriage rights that I have. That is not what I know friendship to be. Friends are equals. They cannot change their sexual orientation any more than I can change the color of my skin. And let's not forget...that whole "separate but equal" thing really didn't pan out.... 50 years from now, when all of this is recorded in history textbooks, I want to look back and remember what side of the debate I was on... and smile.
No comments:
Post a Comment