This past week could have been stretched over a month, but was instead crammed into 7 short days. I felt like I did so much in so little time.
Tuesday was perhaps the longest day. I had to take off work Monday and had to leave my kiddos in the hands of a substitute all day. Taking off work from school, more often than not, feels like a nightmare. Sure I enjoy the day not being in the classroom, but while away, all I do is panic and a reel of worst-case senarios play through my mind. I can trust almost every single one of my students, but there is that handful that I hope a sub will be ready for. I always worry: "Did I leave them enough work to do? Will the sub know how to answer their questions? Will there be an emergency?..."
So Tuesday, I get to work to find out that I had the hardest and toughest sub for Monday. This sub strikes fear and utter terror into every child... it kinda makes me proud. The last thing I want is a sub that my students think they can push over. The note ended up being super positive with the exception of a few trouble-makers. Now, I have to bring the rage and the lecture. It's the same kids that act out for me, so now, the hammer has to come down. They are all in one class period, so they got a heavy sentence. From the first bell to the last bell, I think 10 words were spoken in that class that were not my own. They know when they can and cannot act out. One would hope that this will be a lesson learned, but assuredly, they'll forget and digress to old habits.
Tuesday evening was mostly spent in my classroom until 6 PM that evening. I called all the parents, wrote up referrals and even meet two of my students' arents face-to-face. It wore me down... but then I got a suprise! Claire called to tell me that Dana and her husband Chris were in town and wanted to have dinner in Dallas! OF COURSE!! Despite my exhaustion, there was no way that I would miss out on seeing good friends. The night was complete with sweet stories, sushi, and frozen yogurt. That was divine.
Wednesday night was spent at chimes practice followed by party planning with Nikki. Not to brag or anything, but Nikki and I are pretty darn good at this whole party planning thing. ;-) By Thursday, I was too tired to go to pint night... hello early bedtime.
Did I mention that my Jr. High students have one dance every year... and Friday night was THE night! I volunteered to monitor the first hour of the dance. I mean, Friday evening was about to be a long evening, but at least I'd be entertained I thought... and entertained I was. Most of the boys put little to no effort in their attire for the dance at all. Some wore the exact same hoodie and jeans they had on earlier at school. The cowboy look was popular look as well, but even then, they were the more casual cowboy: jeans, plaid, boots, and hat. A good majority took this opportunity to sport their favorite fitted cap. Seriously, they looked like they were headed to Town East Mall at best. But the girls!!... I'm not kidding when I say that some of their dresses were as fancy as prom dresses from high school. The girls' attire ranged from jeans, short shorts, and shirts to prom dresses. So much make-up, so many fake tans, and so much glitter. All of that to say, I greatly appreciate my mother and her guidance through my jr. high years about clothing choices.
Oh, and then the "dancing." The boys played with the balloons and glowsticks mostly, while the girls followed each other all over the place and danced with each other. I think the dancing I witnessed was pretty tame only because it was the first hour. I'm sure it got crazier as the night progressed. I'm just glad I was there for the awkward: boys do their thing here and the girls will do their thing over here. I pretty sure that is what a jr. high dance is supposed to be like. They need to enjoy this awkward time of separation and not grow up too fast. It breaks my heart when I hear gossip about certain kids doing not-so-kid-like things.
I don't know how big the chimes music circuit is, but First United Methodist Church's Camponologists are rocking the local chimes circle. Not to brag, but we just had our second big performance outside of the church at Windsor Nursing Home. Sold out concert. The crowd would have been on their feet... if they were able... just saying. Ding Dong.
Saturday night: Billy Bobs with Dana and friends and Nikki. It was fun, more pricey than expected, but I'm glad I got to see her that last time before leaving America for at least another year. I've got some great video footage from the night. There was some bull riding and some dancing. It was a honky tonk night.
Tuesday was perhaps the longest day. I had to take off work Monday and had to leave my kiddos in the hands of a substitute all day. Taking off work from school, more often than not, feels like a nightmare. Sure I enjoy the day not being in the classroom, but while away, all I do is panic and a reel of worst-case senarios play through my mind. I can trust almost every single one of my students, but there is that handful that I hope a sub will be ready for. I always worry: "Did I leave them enough work to do? Will the sub know how to answer their questions? Will there be an emergency?..."
So Tuesday, I get to work to find out that I had the hardest and toughest sub for Monday. This sub strikes fear and utter terror into every child... it kinda makes me proud. The last thing I want is a sub that my students think they can push over. The note ended up being super positive with the exception of a few trouble-makers. Now, I have to bring the rage and the lecture. It's the same kids that act out for me, so now, the hammer has to come down. They are all in one class period, so they got a heavy sentence. From the first bell to the last bell, I think 10 words were spoken in that class that were not my own. They know when they can and cannot act out. One would hope that this will be a lesson learned, but assuredly, they'll forget and digress to old habits.
Wednesday night was spent at chimes practice followed by party planning with Nikki. Not to brag or anything, but Nikki and I are pretty darn good at this whole party planning thing. ;-) By Thursday, I was too tired to go to pint night... hello early bedtime.
Did I mention that my Jr. High students have one dance every year... and Friday night was THE night! I volunteered to monitor the first hour of the dance. I mean, Friday evening was about to be a long evening, but at least I'd be entertained I thought... and entertained I was. Most of the boys put little to no effort in their attire for the dance at all. Some wore the exact same hoodie and jeans they had on earlier at school. The cowboy look was popular look as well, but even then, they were the more casual cowboy: jeans, plaid, boots, and hat. A good majority took this opportunity to sport their favorite fitted cap. Seriously, they looked like they were headed to Town East Mall at best. But the girls!!... I'm not kidding when I say that some of their dresses were as fancy as prom dresses from high school. The girls' attire ranged from jeans, short shorts, and shirts to prom dresses. So much make-up, so many fake tans, and so much glitter. All of that to say, I greatly appreciate my mother and her guidance through my jr. high years about clothing choices.
Oh, and then the "dancing." The boys played with the balloons and glowsticks mostly, while the girls followed each other all over the place and danced with each other. I think the dancing I witnessed was pretty tame only because it was the first hour. I'm sure it got crazier as the night progressed. I'm just glad I was there for the awkward: boys do their thing here and the girls will do their thing over here. I pretty sure that is what a jr. high dance is supposed to be like. They need to enjoy this awkward time of separation and not grow up too fast. It breaks my heart when I hear gossip about certain kids doing not-so-kid-like things.
I don't know how big the chimes music circuit is, but First United Methodist Church's Camponologists are rocking the local chimes circle. Not to brag, but we just had our second big performance outside of the church at Windsor Nursing Home. Sold out concert. The crowd would have been on their feet... if they were able... just saying. Ding Dong.
Saturday night: Billy Bobs with Dana and friends and Nikki. It was fun, more pricey than expected, but I'm glad I got to see her that last time before leaving America for at least another year. I've got some great video footage from the night. There was some bull riding and some dancing. It was a honky tonk night.
No comments:
Post a Comment