Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Freedom of Speech



God bless America. I love this country! We have so many freedoms, choices, and opportunities, but sometimes I think we take all these wonderful things for granted… but then sometimes we also abuse them… like our freedom of speech lately.


Example one: Serena Williams. Her outburst and rant at the US Open was inappropriate and seemed so out-of-character. Ok, yes, Serena… it sucks that it was down to wire and you got faulted. I’d be pretty pissed if I were about to lose the US Open, trying to turn the game around, and then got called for a foot fault but really?!? Sportsmanship 101- Respect everyone out on the court. If I were that line judge, I would be terrified of Serena after she threatened me. Have you seen her muscles?!?! If she had yelled at me that she was going to shove a ball down my throat, I’d believe it. I’m sure she could hit a ball with enough speed and force to put it into any bodily orifice she wants.

Example two: Dang, Kayne West. No shocker here that he exercised his freedom of speech… he’s got a track record of freedom of speech abuse. Now let me clarify “abuse.” I don’t think anyone should ever be told, “You can’t say that,” (that’s pretty un-American) but there’s a time, place, and way to say things.

Dear Mr. West,
Jumping on stage like you run the place, taking the microphone from Taylor Swift during her acceptance speech for her FIRST moon-man award, and then announcing your oh-so-(not)important opinion on how Beyonce should have won was a pretty lousy thing to do. You don’t pick the recipients of moon-mans, so save your opinions for Twitter. She didn’t deserve that, but thanks for apologizing. Too bad she can never get that moment back.
Elizabeth

Last but not least: Joe Wilson. Wow. Political leaders get a lot of opinions thrown in their faces all day long. Can you imagine dealing with hate and praise 24/7 from people all over the world? But during a Presidential address, it’s totally uncouth to yell at the President, “You lie!” Seriously?!?! It’s a formal setting of government leaders, not some sleazy reality TV show. It’s a good thing that Wilson apologized, but now some Democrats want to drag it out and make him keep apologizing… that’s a bit ridiculous. Does “I’m sorry” mean more when repeated? What’s more ridiculous is that some people think Wilson’s outburst was appropriate. I bet the same people that condone/cheer for Wilson’s behavior would (excuse me language) flip a shit at someone burning the American flag, but yelling at our Head of State during a public address… well, that’s okay because he was just using his freedom of speech. Puh-leeeeze! It’s all wrong. Wilson can disagree with Obama, but as a political leader, one would expect him find a better, more respectful way to voice his dissent.

Look America – I think we owe it to each other to just be decent human beings. Let’s all respect one another. Remember the ethic of reciprocity a.k.a. the Golden Rule. It’s that one that goes, “Treat others the way you want to be treated.” Using your freedom of speech should not mean abusing others.

No comments:

Post a Comment