Thursday, September 10, 2009

I Hope Lizards Can Swim...


My parents are pretty involved with our church and have been since I left for college. They’re both in the choir and play the chimes. They host the Discipleship class at our house every Sunday, Dad’s on the finance committee, and now Mom has decided to pioneer the new Missions board. Hmm… what do with the church since moving back home? Ahhh, well, I sleep in on Sunday mornings forcing my mother to leave her car so I can drive myself to church… and I then arrive to sit alone at my own pew, watching my parents sing at the front. I like it. Why am I not more involved? Answer: I’m THE youth… my parents are the runners-up. Yep. Our congregation is pretty old. I love those old people, but it’s sad to think about what might happen to our church in the next 20 years. Everyone may have passed away. So, maybe I should just get used to sitting alone in my pew. I find it hard to relate to my fellow congregates because of the large age gap, and sometimes it’s awkward trying to build friendships. I just enjoy talking to them before and after church, and I’m content with that.

So, Wednesday night was choir rehearsal and chimes practice. Bye, Mom and Dad. More time to myself at home… happiness. Until I walked into my room and found an intruder! I approached my bed to grab my laptop and there it was: a brown baby lizard shimmying up my wall! EEEEKKKK. I grabbed the laptop and ran away.


These were my thoughts (don’t judge me): How long has it been in room? How will I find it again later? What if he was in my room last night? What if he was in my bed? I’ll have to sleep with a mask over my face because he could craw in my mouth! I need a face mask. There are other bedrooms to sleep in. What is the most humane way to kill a lizard? Will bug spray paralyze it? Do lizards bleed? I don’t want to smash it, but….

So, I texted my Mom and waited, but no reply. I didn’t know what to do. I didn’t even use my bathroom on that side of the house. I’m usually not afraid of lizards, but I think I was just freaked because it was in my room, creeping up my wall, and in jumping (can lizards jump?) range of my bed! For the next two hours I staying in the main part of the house and used the hall bathroom. I checked the time, and I think choir practice was being held long on purpose.

Finally, they came home and I said, “Mom, did you get my text?! There’s a lizard in my room!” Ha-ha. She freaks out and then Dad said, “What? Am I supposed to get it?” Well, duh!!! It’s like being-a-dad 101: take care of pests! … boys included.

Hooray Dad! He walked into my room and found the lizard immediately. He hadn’t gone far in the past 2 hours. He moved from the wall to the window, maybe trying to get out. He shouldn’t have been in my room in the first place. Next thing I know, my Dad grabbed the lizard with a paper towel, took him to the bathroom and flushed him. It all happened so fast. I was expecting him to release it back into the wild… guess not. So much for being humane. Oh well, it’s in a better place… which is anywhere but my bedroom. Maybe if lizards can swim, it’ll survive. Perhaps it could end up in Brazos River one day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment