Sunday, March 23, 2008

Happy Easter


Happy Easter everyone. So far every Easter has been spent at home with my family, but this year I'm a few times zones and an ocean over. Despite the distance, I can still feel "home" inside of me. I miss my parents more than ever today, but God is with me and that is my comfort.


Some students wanted to meet early this morning on the beach to watch the sunrise. I think I was the only one from Baylor that made it out there, but it was worth it. I headed to the beach around 5ish and stood in awe for about an hour and a half. It was such an experience to be awake so early to watch the sun rise knowing that the Son had already risen. I stood next to a girl, who I didn't even know her name, and overheard her saying, "This makes me feel insignificant and yet very significant." It's true. I am but one imperfect, flawed human being. I am a small bit of creation, only a piece of a greater whole. However, Jesus Christ died for me. His love makes me significant. It was so beautiful being able to celebrate His resurrection this morning. And this is where the English language fails; I feel so limited and unable to convey the true emotions of this day with only words. I mean, Jesus died for our salvation and then conquered death. There is no greater love story.


After the beach, I walked over to an early Easter service held behind the old cathedral ruins. Three Churches of Scotland combined for one large outside service. The woman that preached was excellent. She emphasised that when Mary went to Jesus' tomb, it was still dark and yet the stone had already been rolled away. It was to parallel with the dark world. All the grief and suffering that is so real to us leaves us in the darkness, but Jesus arose from the dark. This is all to remind us that, yes, there will still be grief, suffering, and darkness. Satan is still here, but Jesus has ascended into Heaven and is our light during our darkest hour. So many people lose their faith. I spoke with a girl at lunch just yesterday, and she said, "It'll be weird not doing anything religious on Easter. I don't plan on going to church or anything." I asked why and she replied, "Well, I can't bring myself to believe it anymore. There's too much suffering in my life." Oh how I hope that God can give me the courage to share with her what God's love is really like. It's NOT an exemption from pain. Instead it's knowing that God will never abandon us. He shares our pain until we let go, and then takes it away for Him to bear alone.


...


After service, we took communion within the cathedral, and shuffled a bit further to breakfast. With food in my tummy, I walked down the small section of beach between the castle ruins and cathedral to sit on the rocks by the sea and listened to a group of students sing hymns. They weren't in tune, but I'm sure God doesn't care about tuning. When I finally returned to Uni Hall, I stripped a couple of layers and went to (second) breakfast and now I think I'll nap until lunch... and hopefully shower at some point. Sorry for being gross haha.

1 comment:

  1. Elizabeth, this is a beautiful entry!! Was the perfect way to start my easter morning!

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete