Wow... so basically, I've been skipping lectures left and right to crank out some bulky essays. Right around the end of my sickness, I managed to finish and turn in my Development of Christianity in Africa essay Thursday morning way ahead of time since the actual due date was yesterday!! I was pretty proud, but getting that essay out the way was necessary since Richard was coming to see me... :-)
Richard was due to arrive that afternoon. I was worried at first because I was going to skip my Thursday lectures to go to Edinburgh to retrieve my dear friend alone. The bus and train schedules are beasts to comprehend!! The plan was to just catch the bus to Leuchars train station and cry until someone put me on the right train. However, just moments before I left my room to head to the bus station, I recieve a call from Richard. He had missed his flight from London to Edinburgh and had no way of getting there until the next day. I felt so bad for the guy: stranded in London over night. He was now due to fly into Edinburgh Friday morning. Luckily, that meant that Cynthia could travel with me Friday morning. We left St. Andews early in the morning around the time Jesus Christ wakes up and found Richard around Haymarket station. That Friday was just an easy day around St. Andrews, including time at the West Sands and golf course area.
Saturday was another early early morning. Richard, Cynthia, Marshall, Eric and I all decided to go to Inverness which is far north on the island and local town of Loch Ness the home of the Loch Ness monster. It took all morning to get to Inverness, but sadly once we got there, it was rather difficult to get to Loch Ness. We were so close and yet so far. [I'm sorry, Nessie, that I didn't make it to see you this round. Hopefully, we'll have another opportunity to meet later.] The town of Inverness is nice though and it was a great day. The weather was perfect and warmer than expected since we were in the Highlands.
Sunday, I read in Chapel from the book of Isaiah 50:4-9. It was cool. I haven't read in Church since High School, and I thought it was a neat opportunity to be involved in church service again. Later on that Sunday, Richard and I left for Edinburgh. Around the Royal Mile, the area is really touristy and great. It was a good trip, although, slightly limited since it was a Sunday and most things were closing early. We ate at a great Italian restaurant that was awkwardly empty, but the food was really good. Then left back for St. Andrews.
Monday was the last day of Richard's visit. So, after my History Tutorial we left for Edinburgh again to explore more of what we had missed. I love Edinburgh. It's a clean and neat city. Parts remind me of Washington, D.C. and other parts are fantastically medieval. We soon parted so that he could make his bus back to Haymarket for the airport and I had to catch a train back to Luechars. Sadly, I missed my train and had to wait another thirty minutes for the next train. It would have been a very sad occasion, but another girl missed the train just as I did. We were both denied to board just the train was getting ready to leave the station. But she was really nice. It turns out that she was another St. Andrews student was coming back to visit some friends in St. Andrews. She has been in Spain this past term and until the end of this one was popping in to catch up before leaving for London and Spain again.
I think it great how God takes care of us like that. I was worried about traveling alone and then panicked when I missed my train, but God gave me a companion, some sort of comfort after leaving my best friend and being left at the train station. God is good.
No comments:
Post a Comment