Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Religion




I'm taking two Divinity (Religion) modules here at St Andrews. I love both of them. Jesus and the Gospels is taught by this HOT, young, Scottish professor. He also has three folk music CDs out so he's not only good looking and educated but a talented musician. Hopefully, I can bring back one of his albums. He sounds good. Julia and I have sampled his songs from a link on the internet...hehe. But the class is great. It's basically like Christian Heritage and Scriptures combined. I just finished reading a book for that class called The Shadow of the Galilean. It's good and I'd recommend it if anyone comes across it in the States.




The other Divinity module is Church, Ritual, and Politics. I do believe that this module is my favorite one, hands down. The course calls for two profs. This first half is being taught by Dr. Aguilar. He has this great Italian sounding accent and makes the best jokes. His section of the module is about Christianity in Latin America and Africa. We are starting to explore the music of both regions and the different ways they worship. Last class, the front half of the classroom (my half) was instructed to walk around the classroom waving our arms in sync. It was strange but practical. We are learning the movements of the African Church and will eventually move to a full dance. The second half will be taught by Dr. Bradley, who I've heard nothing but wonderful things about. His half will cover Celtic Christianity and other European styles of worship. This means that during that half, we will be singing hymns. Nothing could make me happier.




I think the reason that I write about my Divinity modules now is because I feel so aware of the overall religious beliefs among the students. My Divinity modules allow me to constantly think about God and my faith academically. It's an enjoyment that's hard to explain.




Here at St. Andrews, there is an organization called the Christian Union (CU). Since the end of February, they have been sponsoring events that all fall under one big event called Forgiveness Fortnight. I think it's a great idea, but the more I seem to get excited about it, the more I notice just how many students are put off by religion. I feel like we're scoffed at by an overwhelming number of students for our faith. Each residence hall has Link Groups that are small branches from CU. I went to my first Link Group Bible study for Uni Hall and there was only six of us. Three of us were American study abroad students. It was still great to be with the few there. But it just seems that a lot of students here have this chip on their shoulder or resentment about Christianity. I feel like when I wear a shirt that reveals my cross necklace, that a few people assume that I'm unworthy of conversation or too good to hang out with at the Pubs and clubs. They say "hi," look at my necklace, express reluctence with their eyes, and resort to small talk or one word responses. They judge me and think..."Oh she's a Christian so she's probably no fun." It's hard to think of ways to reverse these ideas that some have already labelled me with, but hopefully I can break these barriers. I pray for strength, patience, and understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment