Clearly, life in Scotland is a bit different then America. But St. Andrews is nothing like Baylor.
First shock: As new students we were invited to a reception to meet professors from all the different schools (departments). The reception was held in the Student Union building. I hadn't been it in yet, but oh my goodness!! The bottom floor is called The Bop which consists of a Bar with apparently the cheapest drinks in town and a dance floor. Baylor's SUB definitely doesn't have a bar in it. Then, the reception, which was on the top floor that reminded me of a smaller 5th floor Cashion, has a stage, sound system, and lighting for future concerts, I suppose, turns out to be a wine reception. One of the advisors then asks us what we are studying, asks if we prefer white or red wine. She wasn't going to tell us who to talk to until she had poured us a glass of wine. Drinks all around in Scotland!
Second shock: My residence hall is co-ed. In the past the hall was divided by different floors but because they are refurbishing the hall, they have rearranged us all to fit I guess. A floor is mixed, B floor is boys, C floor is girls, and D floor is mixed. I'm on A floor so I was expecting to see boys of course. A floor is shaped like a 'T' and I hadn't seen many people. I had only seen a guy on the other side of the 'T' from my side so I figured that the guys were on that side. Apparently I was wrong. Thursday morning, I woke up to take a shower and was locking my door with only a towel wrapped around me, and there I see a guy two doors down from me. Unfortunately, he was fully clothed and passed by me with that headnod thing... Then after hanging out all day, I returned to the dorm to freshen up in my room before dinner and my hall was filled with guys! Apparently the room directly across from me is a guy. And about 6 six blokes were gathered around a round table (that they probably swiped from the common room) and each with a large beer and were playing poker in the middle of the hallway!... MY HALLWAY! At least during this encounter, I wasn't naked...
Third shock: There are very few Scottish boys that go here. I've mostly only meet other new Americans or English fellows. Sad day :-( But never fear, I'm sure my Scotsman is here!
Fourth shock: There is no class on Wednesday. This is because football (soccer) is such a big deal. I hope to take a trip to Edinburgh to watch Scotland play England! It promises to be a good match. Apparently the French whipped the Scots last match... poor Scotland. :-(
That's right! The French won! Booya! I really hope that when you said, "unforunatley he was clothed" you were meaning to say that "unfortunately you were naked while he was clothed." That still doesn't sound right. Anyway, I hope you're having a wonderful time! I see that you've come on my blog a few times! That makes me feel special! You're going to knock Scottland's socks off! If you ever come to France, PLEASE let me know! I would love to see you! A Tout a l'heure!
ReplyDelete-Cole
-Sic'EM Bears!