I haven't done a lot of church shopping yet, but I plan to very soon. These last two Sundays, I've just gone to St. Salvator's Chapel which is basically like the University Church service. Eric and I made it to Sunday morning service just in the nick of time and heard a great sermon. It was a guest speaker from a Baptist church across town. He was really good. I decided to take communion Sunday and I rather liked it. Afterwards, there is always sherry in the Hebdomadar's room (the Hebdomadar is what they used to call the disciplinary adminstrator back in the day... like 1500s or something... but it's a fun word to use). While there Cynthia and I talked to church leader named John for a bit, and just as we wrapping up the conversation and leaving, the Head Chaplain invited us to his house for lunch. It felt a bit random but we accepted... who would turn down a free homecooked meal??
The Chaplain's house is on The Scores! The Scores is the street nearest the beach and the golf course. Everything off of The Scores is expensive and fine. The houses are gorgeous, and most of the department offices are on The Scores. His house was so nice. Another girl, Rachel also came along. Rachel is from Holy Cross and knows my cousin Paige (small world!) and the guest Baptist preacher and his wife joined us as well. The head Chaplain's wife prepared a lovely meal. We had vegetable lasagna, peas, lima beans, and chuttney. It was all so good especially the lasagna! Then she brought out the pudding (that's the term for any dessert) which was a black current and apple crumble with ice cream. I had two servings of that! I haven't really been full this whole time since then. Then we all retired to the parlor for tea and coffee. It all felt so proper. We chatted about the different cultures and they explained Scottish and British slang words and we shared some American lingo. It was so funny. We were there for about two and half hours. As we were all leaving, the Chaplain asked Cynthia and I to read one Sunday during service. It's all pretty exciting!
Today, Dr. Evans female, invited just the girls over to her house for afternoon tea and snacks. She made great strawberry/rasberry tea and brownies. The Evans' house is amazing. Just walking through the neighborhood to get to the house makes me want to move here for good. Scotland is so pretty. We spent a good 3 hours at the house just chatting. It was interesting to hear Dr. Evans open up to us. She told us about how her and Dr. Evans male first met, dated, and whole marriage thing. They're an interesting couple those two haha. It was a good time.
This Friday is the Hall Ball. The theme is a mascarade at a Brazilian Carnival! I can't wait! I'm really excited and I hope to find my French dance partner there. I love Uni Hall.
I am so going to not be your friend if you get a French lover and I don't!
ReplyDelete-Cole
-Sic'EM Bears!