Saturday, February 23, 2008

Uni Hall Ball!!


I apologize for posting so late, but I've been catching up on my reading assignments lately or hanging out. But despite my tardiness, I've got some fun adventures to share :-)


Each Hall has their own Ball each semester. Uni's Hall Ball was last Friday night and it was great. First, the night began with a themed dinner that started early at about 5:30 instead of the usual 6. One could have dressed up for dinner but I just couldn't because napping was far more important than getting ready at the time. I didn't feel too bad about not dressing up though because only a few people dressed fancy for dinner anyway. The meal was delicious! The menu consisted of wild rice, roast pork, red cabbage, and mango/pineapple honey beer sorbet (so GOOD) for dinner followed by vanilla ice cream with a chocolate syrup swirl covered in frozen white chocolate and shortbreak cookies with chocolate drizzled across the top for dessert. It was FANTASTIC!! After dinner was time to get ready for the ball.


May I just reiterate the Scotland is cold and windy, and my ball dress, pretty as it is, was not going to keep me warm. So, I had to put on my worst nightmare: pantyhose. Hoisery is probably one of the most uncomfortable pieces of women's clothing next to high heel shoes, which of course I had to wear as well. I don't think the pantyhose really kept my legs warm, but in my mind, I'd like to think the itchy discomfort was not in vain. Before going out the the ball, I looked like a hobo. I had my black ball gown on which hung low enough to see from beneath my big brown overcoat, multicolored gloves on, a blue/purple knit scarf around my neck, a big brown bag with my high heels protruding from the top, and my plaid multi-colored keds to save my feet for the dance from the walk to and from Younger Hall. It was an amazing get-up but at least I wasn't going to freeze entirely.


The Ball was in Younger Hall, as previously mentioned, which is on North Street, a bit of a distance away. But once we got there, it was apparent that the location was worth the walk. It was a large venue. The lobby area was designated for a full bar, a side table where free champagne was handed out early, and free ice cream from B. Jeanette's (a really good local ice cream shop). There was a separate cloak room to one side and then downstairs, there was a casino set up. The dance floor was pretty spacious. Before the ceilidh band got set up, a few dancers attempted to hold the crowds attention by dancing "Brazilian." Once the dancers exited (whoohoo!) the ceilidh band was ready to roar and they did. I don't know if I explained this before, but a ceilidh is a traditional dance that reminds me of super fast square dancing, involving kicking, stomping, clapping, rapid spinning, twirling, and a bit of river dancing. Basically the best thing ever!! I was able to dance with a few gents who knew what they were doing. And my French friend, Manuel, and I did a ceilidh round together. It was confusing but at the same time glorious and fun. After the ceilidh band left, a new band called Soul Food Cafe performed. They were awesome and played old-school favorites. And finally, the last few hours were DJed hits, including but not limited to Big Girls by Mika, Eye of the Tiger by Survivor, Wannabe by Spice Girls, Summer of '69 by Bryan Adams, Piece of Me by Britany Spears, and the Cotton Eye Joe... hahaha clearly it was still awesome!


I was saving my favorite part for last!! Almost every guy was wearing a kilt!! Usually I've only seen old men in their kilts, but young Scottish college boys in kilts are flippin' gorgeous and handsome. It's not about your trousers, America... in other words... the pants don't make the man, but a kilt will. ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Oh Elizabeth! I'm glad to hear that you had a good time! Maybe I'll wear a kilt to lunch one day next semester just to make you feel at home! I miss Collins and I miss you! If you come to France, I WANT TO SEE YOU!

    PS: The word varification for this comment was rubturf!

    -Cole

    -Sic'EM Bears!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look SOO Beautiful! I'm glad that you are having such a great time in Scotland.

    By the way, I think you should post some pictures of men in kilts. I had a friend in college who used to dress up like William Wallace for home basketball games (every single one), complete with face paint and a kilt. It was pretty much amazing. Reading your post makes me remember those days!

    I hope you are well. I am praying for you.

    ReplyDelete