First, I would like to apoligize for the lack of pictures. I have tons of gorgeous pictures but I can't put them on the computer yet because I don't have internet in my room and these computers in the lab (my current location) are resricted. But I will have some pictures here soon. ITS called me this morning on my way out the door to tell me that someone should be by in the next... 48 hours... maybe.
So... Today was the first day of modules. My first class is at 10: Church, Rituals, and Politics. I think I'm going to love it. There will be dancing during the first half because we are studying Christianity in Latin America and Africa and then the second half will cover Celtic Christianity and church in the UK, so there will be hymn singing. :-) This makes my heart happy. My second class is called Jesus and the Gospels and the prof. is great. My history class: Scotland, Britian, and the Empire 1603-2000 sounds like it should be great but it's hard to tell because the prof. was very quiet and lacked personality. But I don't want to judge him too hard. This was the first "lecture" and we were there for about 15 minutes out of 60.
After class, Julia, Victoria, and I were all going to meet up at Tescos (which is a ghetto HEB equivalent) to hang out for an hour until the reception at St. Mary's school of divinity. At Tescos I found my new good friend Katryn, who has been showing me the ropes, and we hung out until the others arrived and we all went to B. Genneva's for some very delicious ice cream. When 4 rolled around, the reception began. First of all, this reception is held by the School of Divinity which is equivalent to Baylor's religion department. We were given our choice of red or white wine while we chat with the divinity profs. I talked for quite some time to a couple of grad students named Fiona, a wife and mother probably middle-aged who is Presbyterian, and Kenny, a young crazy Catholic kid that wants to work with addicts. Kenny was absolutely hilarious and the two of these kids together with all the free wine was an amazing combination of laughes. At the end of the reception, we were all invited to go out to a pub with some of the divinity TAs?!?! I love Scotland. Baylor would never allow this. Could you imagine, the Baylor religion department serving free white and red wine at a reception and then taking students out the pub afterwards?!?!
Well, then there's a thing called a 'Bop' tomorrow night which will be free at the Union. It's supposed to be like a big dance party. The Union of course will be selling cheap drinks and food, and apparently everyone goes and it's a lot of fun. Then our residence hall is hosting a toga party this Saturday and a Ball the following Saturday. And these events are catered with free drinks... this is my residence hall?!?! Can we say CULTURE SHOCK?!?! I wonder how these ideas would go if presented to the social committee at Brooks?
You should try to present them to a committee at Brooks and see what they say! It would be quite funny! I'm right there with you on the alcohol thing! One of the best ways to meet people in France is to go to pubs! Crazy! I hope you're having fun and that you're not homesick! I have been every once in a while, but it passes. Keep me updated!
ReplyDelete-Cole
-Sic'EM Bears!
ELIZABETH!!!! I just found your blog. It's very entertaining! Michelle and I have been watching Supernatural together... and this past Sunday at dinner, they divided us into countries and we sat with our country. I was in Sweden, and Michelle was supposed to be in Pakistan, but she sat with Sweden anyway. I don't know if they had Scotland or not. :(
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you're having a really good time!! I'm really excited to hear more from you.
I love you and miss you SO much, and Baylor does too!
Love from Waco,
Chelsey :-)